Website Prophet River First Nation
Prophet River First Nation is located 100km south of Fort Nelson, British Columbia, on the world-famous Alaska Highway at Mile 233. The PRFN community (reserve) is 924 acres in size. The traditional territory of the Prophet River First Nation is situated mainly in the boreal forest region of northeastern British Columbia.
Reporting directly to the Chief and Council, the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) leads the planning, organization implementation and evaluation of the overall management and day-to-day operations of Prophet River First Nation. The CAO ensures overall fiscal responsibility and oversees the delivery of effective programs that meet the needs of the Prophet River community and its citizens. This position is the primary liaison between the Chief and Council and the Administration and leads the Management Team and staff in operationalizing and implementing the strategic direction set by the Chief and Council.
Leadership and Operations
- Oversees all operations and programs including Administration, Finance, Health, Lands, Education Social Programs, Economic Development, Housing, Maintenance, and Trust Administration.
- Leads the Management Team in operationalizing and implementing the strategic direction set by the Chief and Council.
- Ensures that effective policies are developed, implemented, and followed with regard to Human Resources, Finance, Programs and Operations.
- Ensures Prophet River’s programs and operations meet municipal, provincial and federal legislation as applicable.
- Oversees Human Resources for the organization including policy, workforce planning, employee relations, recruiting & selection, performance management, employee development, and occupational health and safety,
- Communicates effectively and ensures clarity of management and staff roles and responsibilities.
- Ensures staff have the tools, training and resources to accomplish their work.
- Provides guidance and mentoring to employees and works to resolve any interpersonal issues between staff or with community members.
- Manages organizational, team and individual employee performance.
- Leads the Management Team to ensure a healthy and productive work environment where employees work together to achieve individual, departmental and Prophet River First Nation goals.
- Provides oversight ultimate responsibility for PRFN’s finances including annual budget preparation, overall financial and cost controls, financial management and accountability. Ensures financial risks are
- Oversees and administers all contracts.
- Works in collaboration with the Finance Manager to provide regular financial reports and updates to the Chief and Council.
- Ensures that all reporting requirements are met for external funders.
Chief and Council
- Supports Council in the development of Prophet River’s strategic plan and goals.
- Responds to Council requests for information.
- Attends and provides advice and input at council and committee meetings.
- Makes recommendations to Council for amendments to existing policy and development of new policy where required.
- Provides reports and recommendations for changes or improvements to programs and services, infrastructure, capital projects and housing.
- Ensures all Band Council Resolutions and documents are properly executed, recorded and filed.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with PRFN citizens. Assists members and responds to their inquiries/requests or delegates as appropriate to ensure members receive timely responses.
- Ensures effective community engagement and communication.
- Chairs the Community Advisory Committee and reports recommendations from the Committee to the Chief and Council.
- Negotiates, reviews and approves agreements, contracts and proposals as directed by Council.
- Explores, reviews and pursues funding streams.
- Manages strategies and processes for navigating and evaluating major projects that impact PRFN.
- Develops and maintains relationships with Federal, Provincial, and Municipal governments, and other agencies and organizations in the best interest of PRFN.
- Represents PRFN at various meetings and other functions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Exceptional leadership skills and the ability to lead and manage a team of managers and staff providing a variety of programs and services.
- Well-developed understanding of business management, as well as operational and financial functions.
- Ability to oversee, manage and monitor the implementation of various initiatives, program changes and projects.
- Excellent business and finance acumen with the ability to analyze situations and make sound decisions and/or recommendations.
- Ability to assess operational needs and effectively implement systems to optimize resources.
- Ability to build a strong team and work effectively within a team environment.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships both internally and externally.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as the ability to make effective presentations.
- Intermediate proficiency level in Microsoft Office.
- Respect for Prophet River First Nation culture.
Training, Education, and Experience
- Degree in Business Management or related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively more responsible management within an Indigenous organization is required.
- Satisfactory Criminal Records check and driver’s abstract.
- Class 5 Driver’s license.
Submit Resume, Cover Letter and a minimum of three (3) references either by email or drop off Attention:
Prophet River First Nation
Deadline to Apply – Until the position is filled.
Preference is given to members of Prophet River First Nation
You must sign in to apply for this position.